School of Biotechnology (November 2021)
1. Sireswar, S., Dey, G and Biswas S. (2021), Influence of Fruit-based Beverages on Efficacy of Lacticaseibacillus Rhamnosus GG (Lactobacillus Rhamnosus GG) against DSS-induced Intestinal Inflammation, Food Research International, Vol. 149, 110661, DOI; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2021.110661. (IF: 6.5).
This study was conceptualized to compare the efficiency of a probiotic strain in two different fruit matrices. The results showed that administration of probiotic (LR) fortified, malt supplemented Seabuckthorn beverage had better restorative potential on the intestinal barrier function and mucosal damage, in comparison to LR fortified, malt supplemented Apple beverage. Seabuckthorn beverage demonstrated increase in the expressions of toll like receptor (TLR)-2, TLR-4 and TLR-5 induced by DSS were significantly inhibited by Seabuckthorn beverage administration. Notably, Seabuckthorn beverage increased the expression of anti-inflammatory cytokine, IL-10.
2. Pawara, R., Ahmad, I., Nayak, D., Wagh, S., Wadkar, A., Ansari, A., Belamkar, S., Surana, S., Kundu, C. N., Patil, C. and Patel, H. (2021), Novel, Selective Acrylamide Linked Quinazolines for the Treatment of Double Mutant EGFR-L858R/T790M Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC), Bioorganic Chemistry, Vol. 115, p. 105234, DOI: 10.1016/j.bioorg.2021.105234. (IF 5.275).
T790M mutation is the most common mechanism of acquired resistance to first-generation epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors (EGFR-TKIs). In an attempt to develop potent and selective EGFR T790M inhibitors, we have designed and synthesized two series of novel acrylamide linked quinazolines. Among them, compounds 2i and 11h were identified as potent compounds, which displayed selective and potent anti-proliferative activity on gefitinib-resistant cell line NCI-H1975 as compared to the gefitinib and WZ4002 in cellular assay. Finally, satisfactory in-silico pharmacokinetics properties of 2i, 11h and 11i compounds were predicted. The results revealed that compounds exhibited lower cytotoxicity to HepG2 cells.
3. Sisodiya, S., Paul, S., Chaudhary, H., Grewal, P., Kumar, G., Daniel, D. P., Das, B., Nayak, D., Guchhait, S. K., Kundu, C. N. and Banerjee, U. C. (2021), Exploration of Benzo [b] Carbazole-6, 11-Diones as Anticancer Agents: Synthesis and Studies of hTopoIIα Inhibition and Apoptotic Effects, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, No. 128274, DOI: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2021.128274. (IF 2.823).
Two series of (hetero) arylamino-naphthoquinones and benzo-fused carbazolequinones were considered for study with the rationale that related structural motifs are present in numerous drugs, clinical trial agents, natural products and hTopoIIα inhibitors. Total 42 compounds were synthesized by reactions including dehydrogenative C-N and Pd-catalyzed C-C bond forming transformations. These compounds were screened against numerous cancer cells and normal cells. Some of the active compounds were evaluated for cell survival and apoptotic effects in cancer. All compounds were tested for hTopoIIα inhibitory activity. The investigated series compounds showed anti-cancer efficacy and relatively less cytotoxicity to normal cells.
4. Nasker, S. S., Nanda, A., Ramadass, B. and Nayak, S. (2021), Epidemiological Analysis of SARS-CoV-2 Transmission Dynamics in the State of Odisha, India: A Yearlong Exploratory Data Analysis, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Vol. 18, Issue 21, pp. 11203. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph182111203. (IF 3.390).
To this day, COVID-19 remains a matter of global public health concern. Previous research suggested the association between local environmental factors and viral transmission. We present a multivariate observational analysis of SARS-CoV-2 transmission in the state of Odisha, India. We aim to investigate the demographic characteristics of COVID-19 in the Indian state of Odisha along with the state of New York for a comparative outlook. We further discuss the demographic and temperature association of SARS-CoV-2 transmission during early 2020 and additionally comment on the variant-associated massive rise in cases during 2021. COVID-19 spread has also been found to have a seasonal trend.
1. Gargi, D., Development of Seabuckthorn-based Beverge Matrix-Evaluations of Prototypes, In: 4th Food Structure and Functionality Symposium, 19-20th October 2021
Interactions between phenolis and probiotics are key factors in achieving the health promoting effects induced by both these components. Among the matrices evaluated, malt supplemented sea buckthorn juice fortified with L. rhamnosus GG was a superior matrix comparatively and could suppress E. coli, S. enteritidis and S. dysenteriae within an hour of co-incubation. The anti-inflammatory potential, of the mutual interactions between probiotic and phenolic compounds from sea buckthorn was evaluated on TNBS induced enterocolitis and LPS induced inflammation in a zebrafish model. Histological data and gene expression studies depicted a higher protection against inflammation in case of sea buckthorn matrix.