Orientation Programme for MPH students of KSPH on Mass Drug Administration towards Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis in Odisha
The School of Public Health, KIIT Deemed to be University (KIIT DU) is collaborating with the National Vector Borne Disease Control Programme (NVBDCP), Odisha of the Department of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of Odisha, to support the state Government initiative towards elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis in the state.
Based on the request from NVBDCP, Odisha, the Master of Public Health (MPH) students of the School of Public Health would be engaged in Mass Drug Administration (MDA) Programme of NVBDCP, Odisha in Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation Area from 8th to 10th of August, 2019 towards elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis. The MPH students would work with MDA team of Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation under the guidance of Medical Officers, Urban Primary Health Centres in providing hand-holding support to the drug administrators, encouraging community to comply MDA and monitoring the MDA Programme.
In this regard, the NVBDCP Odisha in collaboration with the School of Public Health, KIIT DU and Project Concern International (partner agency of NVBDCP) organised half a day Orientation Programme on Mass Drug Administration (MDA) towards elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis for the MPH students of the School of Public Health on 6th August, 2019 at Management Room, KIMS. The technical session was administered by the officials of NVBDCP, Odisha and other public health experts.
Following were the resource persons for the orientation programme.
1. Dr. Prameela Baral, Additional Director, (Mental Health, I/C NVBDCP), Directorate of Public Health, Dept. of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of Odisha.
2. Dr. Pradeepta Kumar Sahoo, Joint Director (Vector Borne Disease), Directorate of Public Health, Dept. of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of Odisha.
3. Mr. Dipti Ranjan Mohapatra, State Entomologist, Directorate of Public Health, Dept. of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of Odisha.
4. Dr. Arun Sivan, State Consultant Entomologist, NVBDCP, Odisha.
5. Mr. Sarat Patra, State Programme Manager, Project Concern International.
6. Dr. Sudhir Kumar Satpathy, Former Director, School of Public Health, KIIT DU.
7. Mr. Himanshu Sekhar Pradhan, Associate Professor, School of Public Health, KIIT DU
By getting involved in MDA programme, the students will have practical experience of public health practice in field situations and have experience on how public health intervention strategies are implemented at the community level.