Workshop on “Mantra for Success” conducted at KIIT
A workshop carrying the theme “Mantra for Success” was conducted by noted Psychiatrist and the Director of Mental Health and Behavioral Sciences, Fortis Healthcare Department Dr. Samir Parikh at KIMS Auditorium on 25th January, 2020. Dr. Parikh lighted the lamp in the presence of Dr. Sucheta Priyabadini(Director, Student Counselling) and Dr. Bishnu Prasad Panigrahi(CEO, KIMS).
At the outset, the welcome note was placed by students Ankankshya Samal and RJ King. It was an interactive session with the students while few of the faculty members were present on the occasion. More than 200 students and faculty members attended the workshop from different Schools like School of Medicine, School of Nursing, School of Law, School of Electronics, School of Computer Science and KIIT International School.
Salient features of the Workshop:
The Talk on “Mantra for Success” was an eye opener where Mr. Parikh discussed about the various aspects of problems that we usually face and made the audience realize no problem is big enough to not have a solution. He focused on the following points.
- Mental Well-being is the most concerned topic to be taken care of.
- Prevalence of Mental Illness
- Around 300 Million People suffer from Depression
- One in five individuals is affected by Mental Illness
- Nearly 800,000 lives are lost to suicide each year
- Mental Health Literacy- Need of the Hour
- Mantras for Success and Well-Being, Priorities your Mental Health
- Define your Success on your own, don’t let others define it for you.
- Emphasize your Long Term Goals
- Invest in Yourself, Pamper Yourself, Un Mute Yourself
- Family Matters! Family is the micro support unit which can’t be ignored at any point of life.
- Regulate your Emotions, Engage in Recreational Activities
- reate a Social Support Network but don’t indulge yourself in Social Network.
- Prepare for Life Transitions, Take a Problem Solving Approach.
- Be open to New Experiences, Take Short Breaks.
- Focus on what you can control, Accept what is beyond your control
- Say no to Substance Use
- Engage in a Digital Detox, He gives a challenge for a 4 hour detoxification, absolutely without any gadgets, TV, Mobile, Desktop.
- Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle, Reach out for support.
Finally, the vote of thanks was extended by Ms. Simran Mohanty, a Student of Computer Science and Communication.